Week 9 Story

    Finders 

     It was late last Friday night. I had just finished doing my homework for school. Suddenly, a car passed by the window. Its headlights flashed into my room, and I saw something shine in the corner. I walked over to pick it up. It was a very pretty ring. Three small diamonds sat centered around the gold band. It's my sister's graduation ring. Our parents had spent a small fortune on it. How did she manage to leave it in the corner of my room? I kind of want to keep it. What's that old saying? Finders keepers; losers weepers! 

Ring Ornament Metal by Pashminu on Pixabay



Keepers

    I had been looking for my graduation ring for weeks! Hiding my hand from mom and making excuses this whole time has become really exhausting. I was just about to give up and tell them what happened when my sister sat down for breakfast. On her finger, my ring! What was she doing with that? I asked her where she had found it. She told me it was just sitting in her room. I told her to give it back to me. It was mine after all. She stuck out her tongue and said "Finders keepers, sis." Fine. I'll play.

Losers Weepers

    A few weeks had passed and my sister was still wearing my ring. How our parents hadn't noticed is beyond me. She made sure to rub it in at every opportunity. Not, today. Last night, she left her laptop in my room before she went to bed. When I came down for breakfast this morning, I made sure to make a big show of having it. Of course, she asked for it back. "Finders keepers, sis," I replied. She sank her shoulders and sighed. The ring was tossed into my lap. I handed her the laptop. That will teach her.

Author's Notes

    In the original story, How Kengi Lost Her Child, two women have a parcel of farm land split between them by their shared husband. One day, one of the woman takes some crops from the other's land. The woman who owned the crops got very upset and created an agreement that anything birthed on each woman's land was theirs and theirs alone. Time passes. One day, the woman who owned the taken crops goes into labor while on the other woman's farmland. The woman who owned the farmland keeps the baby from its mother because it was birthed on her land. The two women go to a prince to settle the dispute and he agrees that the mother has no claim to her baby because of the previous agreement. Thus, Kengi loses her child. I decided to take the story into a modern setting and lighten it up a bit. So, I changed the two women to sisters and had them argue over some physical possessions left in each other's rooms. 

Bibliography. How Kengi Lost Her Child from Notes on the Folklore of the Fjort by Richard Edward Dennett

Comments

  1. This is a cool way to tell a story, Caleb! It is so easy to follow and the flow allows the reader to follow along without confusion. After reading the author's note I understand where the inspiration comes from, the pettiness is incredible, but I guess your story ends much better than the original and it offers a more modern outlook. Great work, I look forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caleb!

    This was a super creative way to tell the story that I hadnt seen before. I like how it was broken up into segments but still easy to follow that way we understood the story plot still. After reading the author's note, i like how you gave the story a modern twist! that always helps appeal to readers our age. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction of Me, Myself and I

Week 2 Story: Beauty and the Basilisk