Thoughts on Feedback Strategies

 The first article I read was How to Provide Great Feedback When You’re Not In Charge. This article was a nice refresher on a practice that I already try very hard to use whenever I am asked to give someone advice. The major idea of the article was to phrase your criticisms and feedback in a way that invites growth instead of making the person feel insulted or lesser than. The best way to do this may be to give feedback on what they did well when commenting on what needs work. 

    I try to implement this strategy when I am giving feedback by using the compliment sandwich. Open up the review by complimenting the person's work and efforts on it. Then, offer up a piece of specific criticism in a specific and helpful way. Finally, close with another bit of praise about them or their work. If there is a lot of feedback, it can be helpful to alternate intermittently between praise and criticism. Giving feedback in this way not only softens the blow of criticism and suggestions about one's work; it also makes the person receiving feedback feel as if you genuinely took interest in and engaged with their work. The key is to, like the author of this article said, make sure the praise is genuine and doesn't feel forced. 

    I try to offer myself up for criticism as well whenever the situation calls for it. I usually offer that up after I have given my criticism. However, I think this article has a point in suggesting that opening with that offer might help make receiving criticism easier for the other person. I should try that in the future.

    The second article I read was Be a Mirror: Give Readers Feedback That Fosters a Growth Mindset. The main takeaway from this article for me was the final point, taking myself out  of the feedback. When giving feedback, I do always begin with phrases like "I think..." and "When I...". I have never really thought about it before now, but I do see how that could negatively affect someones perception of feedback. The article suggested that when phrasing feedback like this, the feedback shifts focus from the work and the person I'm trying to help to me. 

    When I think back on how I have received advice in the past, this makes a lot of sense. A part of why criticism always feels so judgmental and hurtful is because it is phrased in a way that makes me feel like I've failed someone else's standards or disappointed someone else. If they had begun their critique with my name or something similar, I may have felt more engaged and accepting of criticism. It's fascinating how much a simple change in wording can matter. I can't wait to try this change out in the future.

Feedback is stronger when it's used like a mirror (Pixabay)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction of Me, Myself and I

Week 2 Story: Beauty and the Basilisk