Project Research Week 3

     I have decided that for my storybook I will go with my first idea, to create a comical creation myth. I liked the recommendation of writing a story in which the creator has to constantly correct their mistakes or completely restart. I can't get the image out of my head of a Zeus-like figure hunched over a typewriter furiously typing away and then ripping the page out to begin anew. I hope to convey that image in my story.

The instrument of creation (Pixabay)


    One story I may rewrite or take inspiration from is the Popul Vuh. I like the constant dissatisfaction with their creation that the gods in this story have. The contents are a little rough for me. I doubt I'll write a tale in which every other being turns on and rips apart the first men. However, it serves as a good reference for why my creator(s) may be dissatisfied with their creations and what would be enough to cause a reset for them. Is man not beholden to the gods enough? Are they too smart? Do I just kind of feel like I could do better? These are good questions to answer. If my characters don't have a good reason to restart, their restarting would feel unnecessary and uninteresting.

    Another story I may take inspiration from is the Genesis creation narrative. I think I would like to tell my story in the style of "creation from chaos". I've always liked that form of world creation tales. Perhaps that is because I am a westerner who was raised around Christianity. I think this style of creation myth also serves as the best format for the comical tale I want to tell. In the genesis mythology, God creates the world from nothing and then man from that world. I think emulating this system would give me a good basic structure to work from. I also like the idea that because God simply speaks things into existence we can compare him to a king who only needs make a request to have it granted (Wikipedia). I love the imagery of my god being a king that has a celestial advisor constantly making him aware of errors in his creation.

    The third story I may take inspiration from is the Greek mythology creation story While it isn't exactly a singular god or set of gods trying to create the perfect world over and over again, I think the motif of the god-kings trying to prevent their children taking over could be important. Taking inspiration from this origin story might help me create a threat that gives the creator(s) in my story a reason to constantly redo or reset beyond pure vanity. Perhaps in my tale, the creator is in competition with another god and, if he fails, he will lose his seat of power. Once again, this story offers up the imagery of a god-king that I enjoy so much for my story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction of Me, Myself and I

Week 2 Story: Beauty and the Basilisk