My Feedback Thoughts

     The first article I read was Make Good Art: Neil Gaiman’s Advice on the Creative Life. I also watched the video of the speech that was included in that article. I will start off by expressing my admiration for Neil Gaiman. He is a fantastic author and an extremely funny man. His commencement speech in this article highlighted both of those things. I think the advice that Gaiman gave is extremely important. It is especially important to somebody like me who wants to make a career in freelance writing. While the film industry and book industry are different, I'm sure a lot of the basic principles remain the same. This is the first time I've seen this speech, but I've been told most of his points before by other teachers and peers. The part that always sticks out the most to me is not the famously quoted phrase "Make good art." For me, it is the sentiment to just do what it is you want and if you don't know how, pretend you do. When I first decided I wanted to be a screenwriter, I read so many books and articles, watched countless interviews and how-to videos, and listened to advice from anyone who would spare me the time of day. I could tell you the proper formatting for a script and the "right" way to tell a story without breaking a sweat. I couldn't tell you a story. I couldn't show you anything I'd written. I was so afraid of not doing it right and producing bad art. I failed to produce any art at all. When I finally sat down and started writing, I wrote garbage. I still didn't know how to do it well. You don't learn to make art by reading about it. You learn to make art by making art. I now consider myself a much better writer than I was when I first started. I still don't really know how to write good writing, but I know how to pretend I do.

    The second article I read was Seven Ways to Crush Self-Doubt in Creative Work I think the most important part of this article is step one, stop comparing yourself to others. I have always been terrified of doing anything creative or stepping out of my comfort zone. I was always the science kid who was going to go to Harvard or MIT. I was talked so highly of as a kid  I had no other choice than to be the best and never do something I was bad at or else I was a failure. So, anytime I would try something new I would be bad at it to start. Then, I would quit. I always looked to what the greats or just other kids in my class did and decided it was worthless to attempt because I didn't start out how they ended. It is still something I haven't fully gotten over. I have come along way though. I still feel bad when I read a really good script from a classmate, but I also get excited because I see things I can use to make mine better. I get excited that I might get to work with this person in class and learn from them. The other really important step in this article is being willing to be vulnerable. The worst part of being a creative is pouring your heart into a project and having it be rejected or put down. Sometimes, it feels better to just not try as hard and only use surface level emotions and thoughts in your work. At least then it won't feel so bad. That's not making good art though. Good art, more often than not, comes from a place of vulnerability. In the spring of 2019, I took a huge leap off the cliff of vulnerability and joined an improv comedy troupe on campus. I'm not a theater kid. I've never liked being on stage or performing. Joining a group in which I have to perform on a stage with no rehearsal or prepared lines was absolutely terrifying. However, it did what I wanted it to do. I'm infinitely more comfortable sharing my jokes and writing with other people. I'm more outgoing and open to new experiences than I've ever been. I'm okay being vulnerable. I'm on a path to making good art.

    Feedback is one of the greatest tools to a creative of any kind. It is also extremely hard to take if you're not used to it or it is done poorly. Like most things, it just takes practice. The more you get feedback, the easier it is to stomach and the more fun it is to get. It's part of the process whenever you're making something. I now believe if you're truly passionate about your work, you should crave feedback of all kinds. Feedback is the best tool for tuning up your work that exists.

The best lessons come from your mistakes (Laura Gibbs)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction of Me, Myself and I

Week 2 Story: Beauty and the Basilisk